5 Things You Didn't Know About Pride
Brighton Pride is almost amongst us. It's one of the biggest events of the year to happen in our city - made even bigger this year through the apperance of Britney Spears kicking off her UK tour here.
Held on the 3rd to the 5th of August this year, Pride isn't just a parade and few parties to celebrate gay rights for the LGBTQ community. Nor is it an excuse to go out on a bender for the weekend. There's more to it than meets the queer eye, so let us enlighten you.
1. Pride came about in 1970 to commemorate the Stonewall Riots in 1969. People gathered on the Christopher Street Liberation Day in New York, shouting ‘Say it clear, say it loud! Gay is good, gay is proud!’. The success of this one event inspired organizers to create their own events celebrating the LGBTQ community.
2. The Pride flag isn’t just a rainbow – each colour has a meaning.
Hot pink = sexuality.
Orange = healing.
Yellow = sunlight.
Green = nature.
Turquoise = magic and art.
Indigo = serenity and harmony.
Violet = spirit.
3. Annoyed by the visibility of lesbians, radical activist group ‘The Lesbian Avengers’ organised the first Dyke March in 1993. The night before the Pride March in 1993, 20,000 women protested outside the White House, where members of The Lesbian Avengers ate fire.
4. Pride was mostly referred to as ‘Gay Liberation’ or Gay Freedom’, which sounded more militant – as militancy decreased between the 1980s and 1990s, the name ‘Pride’ was adopted since it was more a parade celebrating the LGBTQ community.
5. You think Brighton Pride is big – the biggest is held in Sao Paulo in Brazil. In 2006, the Guinness Book of World Records announced that Sao Paulo holds the biggest Pride celebrations, where 2.5 million attended – the numbers have most likely risen by now.
Say it clear, say it loud! Gay is good, gay is proud.
Iconic as it is ironic - Secret Discotheque is the night that everyone in Brighton hates to love. It has a particular charm to it, we're scared to give the people what you want (what you really really want) and do it with pride! Read more...
There's been a lot of change around here recently, and although we think the change is certainly for the best, some things will never change. Fat Poppadaddys being one of them! Read more...